Why Care about Fisheries?
- Fisheries and aquaculture employ more than 43 million individuals worldwide.
- More than 25% of the world’s dietary protein is provided by fish.
- The human population consumes over 100 million metric tons of fish annually.
- Each year the Canadian fishery lands over 1 million metric tons of fish valued in excess of 2 billion dollars.
- Globally, annual fisheries exports are valued at 85 to 90 billion dollars.
- Pollution continues to threaten water quality and fish habitat.
All natural fish stocks today contain trace amounts of mercury.