Thursday 6 October 2011

World Post Day - 9 October - Message from the Director-General of the Universal Postal Union


Message from the Director-General
of the Universal Postal Union

 


The Post, an invaluable public service worldwide



The world postal network is an enormous web that spans the four corners of the globe. Still today, it is the largest physical delivery network in the world. Each day, more than 600,000 post offices serve billions of peo¬ple, and each year they handle more than 438 billion letters and six billion parcels, and offer a vast range of electronic, financial and logistics services.

On this World Post Day, we should remember the fundamental values of the Post and the numerous public services it offers to people everywhere, which contribute to the economic development of countries.
Today, of all the billions of letters processed and delivered by Posts throughout the world each year, it is estimated that more than 80% come from businesses, associations or government entities. Personal letters account for 5 to 11% of mail volumes.

Meanwhile, parcels are on the rise, as Posts have taken advantage of the growing popularity of e-commerce to become the preferred distributors of those who buy and sell over the Internet.

Postal financial services are also a popular postal product, and an ever increasing number of Posts throughout the world are focusing on this business sector. Postal financial institutions hold more than one billion of the estimated 5.18 billion current and savings accounts in the worldwide retail banking market. What is more, these institutions also offer savings and loan products as well as other services which, for people without banking facilities or with low incomes, would be difficult to access through traditional financial institutions.
Like other sectors, Posts are faced with economic crises and increased competition, but in this era of rapidly developing information technologies they are still managing to hold their own. They continue to ensure a vital communication link between people and businesses worldwide, not only in daily life but also in the face of natural disasters.
After Japan was hit by this year's massive earthquake, we heard many moving stories about Japanese people who had turned to the Post to send supplies to friends and relatives who had suddenly been left out on a limb, or to withdraw money from mobile post offices set up to serve the most severely affected areas. The Post played a major role in cementing solidarity among the people and lifting their spirits, offering hope to victims who had taken refuge anywhere they could find it.

This is the human value of postal services. Beyond the services provided, the five million postal employees – and in particular postmen, counter staff, messengers and others – are all the face of an immense public service with social and economic dimensions the world could ill afford to live without.
On this World Post Day, let us take some time to think about all the services offered by postal workers throughout the world.
Edouard Dayan, Director-General of the Universal Postal Union

3 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone! My name is Christopher Niall. I was diagnosed with HERPES 2 in April of 2012 when I was 24 years old who just completed my MA in sociology at the University of Northern Colorado where I explored the role of stigma in the process of disclosing a genital herpes diagnosis.I have wanted to get this virus cured, I am happy to share that with you! few weeks ago i came on search on the INTERNET if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Gumbla and she also gave the email address (greatgumblaspellhome@outlook.com) and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help so i told my husband about it the he ask me to write him because this pain has been constant especially in my knees. so i wrote to Dr Gumbla telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that it was going to be cured!! then i took the medicine he sent me, which few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured hence i have taken the medicine and then after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE. I can understand that lots of people are been diagnosed with this same virus so am excited to be able to share some of my experiences and thoughts about this man that you can as well contact him for help living with genital herpes is not a good thing..HERE ARE HIS CONTACT: EMAIL : (greatgumblaspellhome@outlook.com) OR YOU CAN AS WELL VISIT HIS his website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com BETTER STILL CALL OR whatsApp HIM viA+2348161850195..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. Hi Everyone! My name is Christopher Niall. I was diagnosed with HERPES 2 in April of 2012 when I was 24 years old who just completed my MA in sociology at the University of Northern Colorado where I explored the role of stigma in the process of disclosing a genital herpes diagnosis.I have wanted to get this virus cured, I am happy to share that with you! few weeks ago i came on search on the INTERNET if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Gumbla and she also gave the email address (greatgumblaspellhome@outlook.com) and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help so i told my husband about it the he ask me to write him because this pain has been constant especially in my knees. so i wrote to Dr Gumbla telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that it was going to be cured!! then i took the medicine he sent me, which few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured hence i have taken the medicine and then after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE. I can understand that lots of people are been diagnosed with this same virus so am excited to be able to share some of my experiences and thoughts about this man that you can as well contact him for help living with genital herpes is not a good thing..HERE ARE HIS CONTACT: EMAIL : (greatgumblaspellhome@outlook.com) OR YOU CAN AS WELL VISIT HIS his website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com BETTER STILL CALL OR whatsApp HIM viA+2348161850195..GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete